Visit us on:

Health Care


Ontario’s health care system is publicly funded but you have to have an OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) card to receive health care services (at a doctor’s office, walk-in clinic or hospital) without paying.

Each family member will need an OHIP card. This is done through an application system. You should do this as soon as possible after you arrive in London or Middlesex County by going to the Service Ontario location closest to you.

Private Insurance

Getting private health insurance to cover your family while your application is in process is a good idea. For more information on private health Insurance, visit website.

Newcomers should read contracts very carefully, as leaving Canada can affect his or her insurance status. Contracts also explain which types of treatments and health care facilities are covered by his or her policy.

General information about healthcare in Canada:

Family Doctors

Having a family doctor is an important part of maintaining good health for your family members. These links may help you find one:

  • London & District Academy of Medicine, Find a Doctor
  • The College of Physicaians and Surgeons of Ontario, Find a Doctoc in Ontario
  • If you cannot find a doctor, register with Health Care Connect, 1-800-445-1822 (this is a free call) and a Care Connector will be assigned to work with you and your family; and the Care Connector will help connect you with local family physicians and nurse practitioners. 

Walk-in clinics and medical advice by phone

  • Accessing a walk-in clinic for immediate health concerns is also possible.  
  • Telehealth Ontario: 1-866-797-000 (this is a free call) will give information and medical advice only.

Well baby/breast-feeding clinics

Middlesex-London Health Unit

South London Community Centre

Womancare Midwives

Medical Emergencies

In an emergency, you should call 9-1-1 or go to one of the hospital emergency rooms in London:


Emergency rooms in Middlesex County:

  • Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital, 395 Carrie St, Strathroy, ON N7G 3J4

Urgent Care

If you have a health issue that is urgent but not life threatening, you should go to St. Joseph’s Health Care Centre’s Urgent Care Center between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. It is at 268 Grosvenor Street in London.

Health Unit

The Middlesex-London Health Unit can also provide health-related information and help.

Mental Health

Mental health issues (problems with feelings of depression or other bad feelings) can also be a concern:

The Healthline

London Health Sciences Centre

Regional Mental Health Care

Canadian Mental Health Association – London-Middlesex Branch

Health care specific to refugees

Cross Cultural Learner Centre

Help navigating the healthcare system

London Intercommunity Health Centre